This page is updated with job postings relating to rural and remote health research.
BCRRHRN Employment Opportunity
Position Title: Network Coordinator, Full-Time
Location: Vancouver, BC
This position functions as an integral part of the BCRRHRN Administrative Team with primary responsibilities related to building rural and remote health research capacity in BC. Responsibilities will include making contacts and connections with BCRRHRN Members who are researchers and research users from universities, colleges, institutions and organizations in the province who are involved, or who have an interest, in rural and remote health research.
The British Columbia Rural and Remote Health Research Network (BCRRHRN) is one of eight Health of Population Networks (HoPN) funded by the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research to support and develop the networking of health researchers across disciplines and the many institutions in BC. The main impetus behind the formation of these networks is to build capacity, facilitate and enhance BC’s ability to address health issues, and align health research in BC with national and international research and funding priorities to improve competitiveness for external funding.
The BCRRHRN functions with the direction of two Scientific Co-Leaders, Dr. Stefan Grzybowski at UBC and Dr. Martha MacLeod at UNBC, and are supported by an Administrative Team. The Administrative Team consists of a full-time Network Manager located at UNBC and a full-time Network Coordinator located at UBC. Part-time support is provided by a Communications Coordinator, and short term contracts on an as needed basis.
The Network Coordinator reports to Dr. Stefan Grzybowski; and regularly interacts with the Network Manager. Regular meetings are held between the Scientific Co-Leaders and the Administrative Team to ensure effective implementation and communication of the BCRRHRN Strategic Plan.
This position is located at the Centre for Rural Health Research and is employed through the University of British Columbia, Department of Family Practice.
In conjunction with the BCRRHRN Scientific Co-Leader and the Administrative Team the Network Coordinator’s responsibilities include:
- Engaging BCRRHRN members (e.g. Identifying researcher needs associated with building rural and remote health research capacity)
- Recruiting new members
- Help identify and organize network events/ activities that relate to BCRRHRN’s strategic plan (e.g., organizing opportunities for BCRRHRN Members to network, share research interests, and build research teams).
- Develop strategies around collecting and distributing information relevant to BCRRHRN Members
- Liaising with other research networks and health research capacity builders
- Producing and/or contributing to network reports and/ or promotional literature as required
- Managing the finances of the UBC site office
- Other duties as required
Educational Requirements: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree in health related discipline preferred.
Experience Requirements: Minimum of two years of recent related experience, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience in an academic research environment.
Skills / Specialized Knowledge Requirements:
- Excellent people and networking skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Advanced research skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Thorough knowledge of grant processes
- Able to multi-task and thrive in high-pressure research environment
- Able to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Able to work independently
- Team player
- High degree of computer and internet literacy required (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, website design and database management). Knowledge of FileMaker Pro and Macromedia Dreamweaver is an asset.
- General knowledge of organizational structures at university and BC Health Authorities
- Knowledge of rural population health issues an asset
- Experience working in a distributed team is an asset
Commensurate with education, skills and experience.
Six (6) months with possibility of extension.
Please forward CV, and three references via email to:
June 11, 2007 or until position is filled.
Click here for a PDF version of the job description.
- Research Associate – The Centre for Rural and Northern Health Research (CRaNHR), Laurentian University
Sudbury, ONThe Centre for Rural and Northern Health Research (CRaNHR), Laurentian University, is seeking a full-time Research Associate. CRaNHR (www.cranhr.ca) is an academic and applied research institute that conducts scientific studies into health workforce issues and evaluates the organization, delivery and effectiveness of rural and northern health services. CRaNHR personnel work closely with Faculty Investigators (drawn from a variety of disciplines and universities) to conduct grant- and contract funded research. Closing Date: July 13, 2007
Click to see the full job description
- Researcher Liaison Unit Lead – Population Health and Learning Observatory (PHLO)
The Population Health and Learning Observatory (PHLO) is dedicated to building the world’s most comprehensive data infrastructure on the determinants of health and creating a research infrastructure that facilitates innovative, interdisciplinary research of international importance. Key objectives of PHLO are to a) acquire new data for approved research projects, b) facilitate cross-linkages between the data in a privacy sensitive manner, and c) provide strategic leadership to ensure streamlined local, national and international researcher access to these data.They are looking for a senior level person who can work on harmonizing and streamlining processes in support of researcher access to data.
Click to see the full job description
- Regional Liaison Officer – BC Network on Aging Research
Closing Date: May 31, 2007
- Research Associate – Evaluation – Rural Acute Care Nursing Certificate Program, UNBC
Prince George, BC
Deadline: May 15, 2007; or until position is filled.